When it’s summer in the city, we at Chicago Luxury Beds can’t blame you if your sleep cycle gets out of sync.
The sun sets later, the nights are warmer and unlike the winter, we’d often rather be out soaking up the season than inside under the blankets.
Between late nights enjoying drinks on the patio and catching sunsets at the beach, we often go to bed later and don’t always give ourselves the chance to wind down.
But lack of sleep is bad news for our bodies according to several in-depth studies highlighted in our sleep guide (available at the CLB showroom). Research links sleep deprivation to conditions such as weight gain and even high blood pressure, while those who get a good night’s sleep tend to have improved concentration, better short-term memory and a stronger immune system among many other health benefits.
Getting a good night’s rest will help you chase the day and ultimately make the most out of your summer.
We’ve compiled a few tips on how to catch enough zzz’s and how to find the best mattress that will send you to perfect summer slumber.
How to get a full night’s sleep:
1) Spend time outside. In summertime, this one should be easy. Go out for a run if it’s cool enough or spend a day at the lake with some friends. Being outside in natural light and breathing fresh air can help program your body to feel naturally awake during the day and sleepy at night.
2) Limit caffeine. Many of us try to make up for a lack of sleep with extra caffeine. But our favorite caffeinated drinks- like coffee and soda – can cause sleeping problems by making it difficult to fall asleep at night. Limit caffeine intake in the afternoon and consider eliminating caffeinated drinks altogether after 5 p.m.
3) Wind down. After a busy day, our minds sometime focus on what went wrong, what went right or what we’re doing tomorrow. Try to relax at the end of the day by reading a book, listening to calming music, meditating or practicing light yoga. Technology can also stress us out and keep us awake, so try to avoid using your laptop or smartphone at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
4) Create a calming sleep environment. The sun rises earlier in the summer (about 5:30 a.m.), so make sure you have the right blinds that will keep your bedroom dark. Set your thermostat at a comfortable temperature, and keep the room quiet. And of course, invest in a bed that will help you relax and fall asleep.
Which brings us to our next list of tips,
How to select a mattress at Chicago Luxury Beds:
In our video, chiropractor Robert DiDomenico points out that we tend to think about eating right and exercising when we consider our health, but “it’s equally as important to make sure that we invest in a good quality mattress, for after all, we spend one-third of our lifetimes sleeping in bed.”
1) Use an expert. Looking for the right mattress can be confusing, so Chicago Luxury Beds provides in-store sleep ambassadors who can ask the right questions and look at your sleep positions to help you find a bed that optimizes comfort and support.
2) Take your time and try several beds. Give yourself a minimum of 30 minutes to try different beds. Lie down in your normal sleep positions and see what feels comfortable. Always compare the firmness of each bed before making your final choice.
3) Check the level of support. If the mattress is too firm, you will be able to slide your hand easily between the mattress and hollow of your back, which creates pressure around the shoulders and the knees. If the mattress is too soft, the spine will bow downward, causing pressure around your hips.
4) Measure your bedroom. It’s best to buy the largest mattress your room can fit. King size allows for the most personal sleeping space, which can reduce sleep disturbance.
Our beds are handmade from all-natural materials, because a mattress made with the best craftsmanship and care makes all the difference in finding one that fits your preferences and comfort.
For more information, visit us online at chicagoluxurybeds.com and watch our video on how to choose a bed that is right for you. We also invite you to stop by our River North showroom at 440 N. Wells St. to for the full Chicago Luxury Beds experience!